Homes For All St. Louis Tenant Defense Lawyer
WHO WE ARE: Homes For All St. Louis launched in 2018 as a collective of organizations and individuals committed to building a transformative movement in Black and Brown communities around the Greater St. Louis area.
Homes for All St. Louis is building power and altering the socio-political landscape for renter-friendly policies by catalyzing tenant unions & combating housing inequities.
Our motto is: "Housing is a Human Right!"
- Community & Housing Is A Human Right
- Land & Housing should be collectively owned & controlled by communities
- Land and Housing should be developed in a way that is sustainable for the planet
- Land & Housing should be accessible, permanent, quality, and connected to economic, social, and cultural networks & institution
Homes For All St. Louis is hiring a Tenant Defense Lawyer to further ensure that tenants and renters have access to legal support, education and representation.
Primary Responsibilities will include:
- Participate in HFASTL rental and utility assistance events/clinics
- Support the Tenant Bill of Rights organizer around TBOR language legalities
- Participate in HFASTL community events around “Know Your Rights” as it pertains to evictions, fair housing and renter protections
- Provide quality legal representation as it pertains to tenant/renter eviction matters and other landlord/housing matters
- Create and lead HFASTL's Eviction Defense Program
- Stay abreast of local, state and federal housing laws that can impact the STL housing community - specifically around HFASTL’s Eviction Defense Program & Tenant organizing and unionization
- Certified to practice in state of Missouri
- Knowledge of Missouri tenant/landlord law and court procedures
- Knowledge of both local and statewide tenant/renter housing protections
- Excellent written and oral skills
- Detailed analysis of STL’s housing, social and political landscape
- Degree or experience in social work preferred but not mandatory
- Ability to effectively and equitably engage, communicate and work with low-income, unhoused and community orgs and stakeholders
- Ability to work both independently and with a team
- Knowledge and understanding of the social justice and organizing landscape in the St.Louis region
Salary and Benefits
This is a full time, exempt salaried position. The salary range is $40K - $70K, commensurate with experience and competitive with our sector. RTTC offers a generous and comprehensive benefits package including 100% medical, dental and life insurance, employee-matched 401k retirement plan as well as sick and vacation PTO.
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit a resume, cover letter and writing sample through our hiring portal at:
Right To The City Alliance is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from communities heavily impacted by gentrification, displacement and housing insecurity are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.